Prince Harry and Hugh Grant are to appear in a bombshell ITV documentary. Investigating the phone hacking scandal, the broadcaster has announced.

Tabloids on trial will cover the two decades through which the scandal spanned, with allegations first breaking in 2003.

together Duke of Sussex And Mr Grant, the program will feature appearances by Charlotte Church, Paul Gascoigne and others ‘caught in the public eye’.

ITV has said that he will also join the show. Harry’s first major interview since the high-profile court case ended Against Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN) in December.

In a major win for Duke, the presiding judge ruled that phone hacking had become “widespread and habitual” at MGN Titles in the late 1990s and that his phone had been hacked “to a modest extent.” , which awarded damages of £140,600.

ITV says, “The documentary hears about his mission to continue his fight to expose the illegal practices of Britain’s tabloid press and explores how those in charge of Fleet Street What did you know after the scandal came to light.”

The program airs on July 25, as Duke faces two more legal battles against both of his publishers. The Daily Mail And the sun.

Prince Harry has been interviewed for ITV's Tabloids on Trial.
Prince Harry has been interviewed for ITV’s Tabloids on Trial. (ITV)

What is a phone hacking scandal?

The UK phone hacking scandal involved the illegal collection of information by tabloid newspapers from around 1995 to 2012.

The issue first gained public attention in 2011, when overselling occurred. World news. The paper had to be shut down amid allegations of hacking. It comes after news broke that journalists from the Rupert Murdoch-owned tabloid hacked the phone of murdered schoolgirl Millie Dowler, intercepting voicemails to use in their coverage.

Actor Hugh Grant was also interviewed for the ITV documentary.
Actor Hugh Grant was also interviewed for the ITV documentary. (ITV/PA)

Also published by News UK, Mr Murdoch’s media empire. the sun, has since settled more than 1,600 phone hacking claims. Reports suggest that this has cost the company around £1 billion.

Hundreds of civil cases have now been brought against News UK and publishing rivals. Mirror And The Daily Mail. Contenders include many high-profile individuals, such as Prince Harry, Hugh Grant, Liz Hurley, Elton John, Paul Gascoigne and Steve Coogan.

The Duke of Sussex has been particularly active, participating in a number of legal battles since 2019 with varying degrees of success. To give evidence in the case against him Mirror publisher, she revealed how “media intrusion” had affected her life, and influenced her decision to step back from royal duties.

“With the child growing up, in the teenage years, I was under attack from the press for most of my life, until today,” she told the court.

He later added: “Some editors and journalists who have caused great pain, distress and in some cases death personally speaking.”

Prince Harry was later successful in his claim against the publisher, but has two other civil cases pending against him. He is one of several plaintiffs in the lawsuits against both publishers. The Daily Mail And the sun, Accused of illegal information gathering. Legal proceedings against the two are expected later this year.



Source link