Sally Buzby, editor-in-chief of The The Washington PostSunday abruptly resigned, just weeks after a strained relationship with the company’s chief executive, Will Lewis.

The Washington Post building at the One Franklin Square Building on June 5, 2024 in Washington, DC. Andrew Harnick/Getty Images/AFP (Photo by Andrew Harnick/Getty Images North America/Getty Images via AFP) (Getty Images via AFP)

In mid-May, Buzby clashed with Lewis over whether to publish a story about Lewis’s British hacking scandal.

3.6 crore Indians visited in a single day and chose us as India’s undisputed platform for general election results. Discover the latest updates. Here!

According to sources, Buzby informed Lewis that the newsroom planned to cover the judge’s upcoming ruling in the long-running British legal case involving Prince Harry and others against Rupert Murdoch’s tabloids.

The judge was expected to decide whether Lewis could be named on a list of those accused of hiding evidence of the hacking. Lewis argued that the case was not worth coverage, but Buzby insisted on publishing the article.

The interaction upset Buzby, who sought advice from confidantes outside The Post. The Post published the article after a judge ruled May 21 that Lewis could be included in the case.

Although Lewis did not stop its publication, the incident weighed heavily on Buzby as she contemplated her future at the paper.

Also Read | Texas Releases ’10 Most Wanted Illegal Immigrant List Here’s how you can tell the authorities.

Why did Buzby resign?

Buzby’s resignation was not just because of the coverage of the hacking case. She was already considering her future due to a restructuring plan proposed by Lewis in April. Lewis offered Buzby a position to oversee a new division focused on social media and service journalism, which he saw as a demotion from his role as executive editor, where he covered all the news. Supervised.

Appointed by Jeff BezosLewis, owner of The Post, was tasked with rebuilding the publication late last year amid declining audience numbers and heavy financial losses.

Lewis, the former CEO of Dow Jones, is strategizing to overhaul the business. He decided to divide the editorial ranks into three sections: a core newsroom covering politics, business and other topics; an opinion section; and a new division for social media and service journalism, including fitness and lifestyle coverage. Previously, The Post was divided into news and opinion sections.

Lewis told Buzby that she could help recruit an editor for the cover news operation. He later chose Robert Winnett, editor of the Daily Telegraph and former colleague of Lewis.

The conversation about the phone-hacking coverage took place during an executive meeting outside The Post newsroom, where executives discussed Lewis’ planned changes. Top editors sometimes alert executives to sensitive stories before publication. For example, in 2013, Martin Barron, Buzby’s predecessor, informed the publisher about the National Security Agency stories, and in 1971, Ben Bradlee informed the former owner about the Pentagon Papers.

Also Read | US launches probe into Nvidia, Microsoft and OpenAI: Here’s all we know

Will Lewis tries to improve the post.

In a tense staff meeting Monday, Lewis defended his business strategy, highlighting the Post’s $77 million loss last year and a 50 percent drop in audience since 2020. It needs to be rotated, right?” he said.

“We’re losing huge amounts of money. Your audience has halved in recent years. People aren’t reading your stuff.”

“I had to take a decisive, quick step to take a different path, the talent I’ve worked with is the best of the best.”



Source link